Japanese Language Visiting Lecturer

You are here

The Department of Asian Studies at Cornell University invites applications for a full-time Visiting Lecturer position in Japanese language for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Minimum qualifications: Master's degree preferred. Native speaker level competency in Japanese is required, as well as the ability to teach all levels of Japanese (especially elementary and intermediate), along with prior college-level teaching experience. Three years of college-level teaching experience preferred, which may include Teaching Assistant experience. Also required are an explicit understanding of the linguistic properties of Japanese; knowledge of the cultural background necessary to teach the language; familiarity with language-teaching methodologies, including technology-related pedagogy and flexibility in using different teaching methodologies; excellent English skills; and the ability to work both in a team and autonomously at all levels of the language.

Deadline for applications is March 1, 2021. Electronic submission of applications is required. Submit a letter of application (including remarks on teaching philosophy [max 2 pages]), an unedited classroom teaching video of a (max 50-minutes) Japanese language class (provide online access link or on USB), CV, and three letters of application (only three letters will be accepted) to: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18091.

Teaching videos on USB should be directed to:

Japanese Language Search Committee
Department of Asian Studies
Cornell University
350 Rockefeller Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-2502

The shortlist candidates will be asked to provide sample teaching materials and/or course syllabi.

Other inquiries can be made via e-mail to: asianstudiesjobs@cornell.edu.

Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations.